New Life

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls a butterfly." Richard Bach

Monday, June 20, 2011

No Complaints



"Do all things without complaining and disputing," Philippians 2:14 (NKJV)

It is a natural human response.  I mean, when a surfboard rips through waves and hits you square on the forehead (narrowly missing your nine year old and other little ones in the water), causes a 3/4 inch gash and 4 stitches just above your eye.  This, all on your first day on the beach........

Wouldn't you complain?    Maybe just a little?

I admit, I would have been a bit bitter.

We quickly piled gear, towels, boogie boards, frightened children, and SAND into our minivans barely making the time to pull off dripping wet, sticky, sandy bathing suits before rushing to the Medical Center.  My friend was cracking jokes as we hurriedly grabbed something dry to put on.  The first joke I remember was something about wearing a red shirt to match the blood (you had to be there).  I was amazed.  Her laughter was contagious.

In the Doctor's office, while the Doctor pulled stitches, his tweezers dropped the thread and he said, "Oops."  She had a field day with that one.  After all that isn't something you want to hear your doctor say as he is stitching up your face.  I know that doctor got a kick out of her, and maybe he saw a little bit of Jesus too.

(We homeschool and I had to document all of this.)
After

Don't get me wrong.  It was no day at the beach.  (Pun intended.)  She couldn't get in the ocean for the remainder of the trip, she had discomfort, her eye turned black (and blue, red, and yellow; not necessarily in that order) and it was awkward sleeping.  But her mention of the results of the accident (which were few), were a statement of fact, not a complaint.  She didn't let it stop her from seeing the good in everything.

My friend's attitude was a great object lesson for my kids.  They were truly amazed at her disposition.  It was an even greater one for me.  It changed my perspective.   I want to be more like her when I grow up

She is beautiful...stitches and all.




Laughter really is the best medicine.
Complaining accomplishes nothing. 
There is no gratitude in a complaint.
Complaining shows unbelief in knowing,    “...all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose” Romans 8:28

#964.  No Complaints.


1 comments:

Neecie Herndon said...

I didn't know your blog would be centered around me, but your #964 sure fit right in there didn't it?

Post a Comment